Saturday, February 28, 2009

Real Food At Last!

Well, within reason... Gradually moving from pureed foods to more solid stuff. Chewing really comes into play here as I now can feel the limitations of my new stomach. I have to make sure things are well masticated before they get down there. With protein consumption as my main goal, my first 'proper' meal in nearly 2 months was mince (ground beef) on toast. It was like a 5 star gourmet meal to me! The toast was Molenburg bread which is low GI and is full of wholegrains. It was toasted to within an inch of its life - so it was really crumbly - because bread can turn into a gooey paste which is not good in the new tummy. All went well, and even though the portion was pretty small it took a while to eat and I felt satisfied.

The feeling of satisfaction after food is very new. I can't actually recall a time when I did feel that. Maybe I've had this gnawing hunger all my life. As I've mentioned before, I do feel hunger now, but it seems to be appropriate hunger. It stops when I start eating and doesn't pop up again until the next mealtime. How novel! I have to make an effort to get my liquid requirements in for the day, as I just 'forget'.

Another thing I have noticed, nearly 6 weeks post op, is that I feel well. For the past few years I have felt pretty horrible every day. Not only lethargic and exhausted, but at times on waking I have felt like I've been clawing my way back from death. Not a pleasant feelingto start the day with. This has been how diabetes has affected me. I have continued to stay off the meds since the op and my Blood Glucose readings have been very stable and very normal. That doesn't mean I can go out eat tons of sugar (well this is how I see it anyway). In order for the Sleeve to work I need to eat a sensible diet and get regular exercise. I'm very happy to do that! Its a do-able thing for me now. Before, I just could not stick to it, with the gnawing hunger and the seeming bottomless pit that my stomach was.

I see my surgeon and Monday and if all goes well I will be cleared to exercise! Yeehaw! The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak where exercise is concerned. We shall see. Body - prepare yourself for th shock of your life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment